Monday, July 9, 2012

What To Keep In Your Pantry

Here's my list of the ingredients you should keep in your pantry at all times. Pick and choose as you see fit for your situation, but these are what I use most often.

  • Flour - mostly used for baking, but also used in things like fried chicken. I tend to just use basic white flour. It's not the healthiest flour out there, but it's the cheapest and most versatile.
  • White Sugar - also called granulated sugar. This is the sugar I use most often in cooking/baking.
  • Brown Sugar - while I use this in baking a lot of the time, I mostly just use it to flavor oatmeal.
  • Powdered Sugar - I know, this seems like a lot of sugar, but powdered sugar is important if you're making desserts like lemon bars or frosting.
  • Salt - I usually just use a salt shaker, but having a bulk package of salt (like Morton Salt) is super convenient if you actually need to measure out an amount of salt
  • Pepper - I just keep a grinder or shaker of it around. I prefer having a small grinder, but it's sometimes cheaper to buy a small shaker instead.
  • Baking Soda - not only useful in cooking, but also can keep your fridge from smelling gross, and can get rid of some nasty shoe odor.
  • Baking Powder - this is different than baking soda. They're similar, and both leaveners, but they have different purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment